I have been making these blondies since 2007. My mom and I went on a trip to New York and I was obsessed with Sex & the City. We took the Sex & the City tour of New York which included a stop to Magnolia Bakery and I fell in love.
Since these blondies have been on my menu for years, always with a few variations, I depend on the same core recipe. The original recipe comes from the Magnolia cookbook. I'm a little more free with the recipe than they are. You can mix up the add ins for a different bar (white chocolate cranberry blondies anyone?).
I made them for Valentines Day and gave half of them away so that we would eat them. For those of you following Weight Watchers these are 11 sp (which is why I gave half away and because they're too good to keep all to yourself ).
•1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
•1 cup brown sugar
•1/2 cup white sugar
•Vanilla extract (2 tsp or 2 dashes)
•1 1/2 cup flour
•1 tsp baking powder
•1/4 tsp salt
•4 oz dark chocolate chunks
•2 oz white chocolate chunks n
I had this dream of sitting down to a hot coffee every morning while my little guy napped peacefully in his crib. I'd enjoy my breakfast and prep for the day ahead.
That's not a dream it's currently a illusion and as anyone with a ten week old will tell you if you can't eat it with one hand you're not going to eat.
So, I wanted something that I could make ahead, control my sugar & fibre intake, and actually enjoy and feel full for an extended period of time. That's when I thought of baked oatmeal. I have always enjoyed oatmeal and tried to find healthy alternatives to the things that come in packages. I looked at several recipes online and crafted up these bad boys. I really enjoy the oatmeal and hope to post variations soon.
Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
(6 Smart Points for Weight Watchers)
* 2 cups oats
* 1 cup all bran buds (softened with about 1/4 or 1/3 cup boiling water)
* 2 cups skim milk
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup brown sugar divided (or Splenda)
* Vanilla extract (a dash to a splash)
* 2 tsp cinnamon
* 1tsp pumpkin pie spice
* 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
* One Apple diced (leave the skin on for fibre)
* Preheat oven to 375.
* In a small bowl mix half the brown sugar with half the cinnamon and set aside.
* In another bowl mix everything else together (yeah - it really is that easy).
* Spoon mixture evenly in a pan. Note: I use this Pampered Chef stoneware bar pan for mine. Because of this I don't need to use oil to grease my pan - if you're using something other than stoneware I'd give it a little spray down.
* Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top.
* Bake for 25 minutes (or a little more or less depending on your oven and what kind of dish you use). Oatmeal should appear solid and dry.
What are some of your go to recipes for breakfast? How do you like to start your days?
It's hard to believe that it's been another month and that Finnley is just over two months old. The time goes by very slowly and yet faster then you could ever expect. I'm just starting to get in the swing of a schedule, and I've learned how to type with a baby on my lap, a dog at my feet and by using one hand.
What I've Loved
What Surprised Me
So any STM (second time moms) or moms with older kids - any tips on what i coming next? Leave your comments below!
I love to cook, entertain, craft and create - all while being a wife, friend, daughter and a mom to a little boy.