I had this dream of sitting down to a hot coffee every morning while my little guy napped peacefully in his crib. I'd enjoy my breakfast and prep for the day ahead.
That's not a dream it's currently a illusion and as anyone with a ten week old will tell you if you can't eat it with one hand you're not going to eat.
So, I wanted something that I could make ahead, control my sugar & fibre intake, and actually enjoy and feel full for an extended period of time. That's when I thought of baked oatmeal. I have always enjoyed oatmeal and tried to find healthy alternatives to the things that come in packages. I looked at several recipes online and crafted up these bad boys. I really enjoy the oatmeal and hope to post variations soon.
Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
(6 Smart Points for Weight Watchers)
* 2 cups oats
* 1 cup all bran buds (softened with about 1/4 or 1/3 cup boiling water)
* 2 cups skim milk
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup brown sugar divided (or Splenda)
* Vanilla extract (a dash to a splash)
* 2 tsp cinnamon
* 1tsp pumpkin pie spice
* 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
* One Apple diced (leave the skin on for fibre)
* Preheat oven to 375.
* In a small bowl mix half the brown sugar with half the cinnamon and set aside.
* In another bowl mix everything else together (yeah - it really is that easy).
* Spoon mixture evenly in a pan. Note: I use this Pampered Chef stoneware bar pan for mine. Because of this I don't need to use oil to grease my pan - if you're using something other than stoneware I'd give it a little spray down.
* Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top.
* Bake for 25 minutes (or a little more or less depending on your oven and what kind of dish you use). Oatmeal should appear solid and dry.
What are some of your go to recipes for breakfast? How do you like to start your days?